Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Fire and Rescue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member LCAS_712's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2006
    Location
    Coeburn VA / Harrogate TN
    Posts
    977
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Fire and Rescue

    I just read that post about the police in wise county. I would like to know what everybody thinks about their towns Fire Departments and Rescue Squads?
    [img]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cfd_1623/l_718884585b96167d3016bd636fbe24c0.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fire and Rescue

    Valley fire is good, but their first responder is a joke.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fire and Rescue

    I think the City of Norton FD is top notch, they take it very seriously, plus I think their are like 30 some odd members maybe even more. I don't know a lot about the Rescue, I know it used to be good, like I said, I don't know much about it now but I would say it is still very good.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  4. #4
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Fire and Rescue

    I think most volunteer fire dept. get some pay for their service, where as i don't the rescue, or first responder don't receive anything.
    It is a bit slower on the rescue part it seems for most areas.
    But you still have to remember, this is all volunteers, and they as far as i know, are not compensated at all, like those on the fire departments.
    Not that it is about money to those who serve on the resuce, they probably get less money department wise and less praise than anyone.
    To be doing it soley on being the truest of volunteers.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member LCAS_712's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2006
    Location
    Coeburn VA / Harrogate TN
    Posts
    977
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fire and Rescue

    I am a vol. firefighter/EMT for Coeburn Fire and a vol. EMT for Wise Rescue Squad. I also get paid for working at LifeCare Ambulance Medic Unit 5 (Wise station) the weekends when Im in school and more when Im not. I know first hand what all volunteers in Fire/Rescue services go through. It is very hard to get up at 3 in the morning when its 15 degrees outside and everybody else is in bed sleeping get to get allwet and cold after the fire is out, or take some drug addict to the hospital knowing all in well they dont need to go and that they are just looking for a quick fix, but we still do it anyways and carry on a life like anybody else who does not volunteer. Yes I do believe that Rescue does not get the reconition that they deserve. People think that Fire personell save peoples lives and in rare cases that is true but even when that happends they hand the pt. over to the rescue personell on scene to actually take more advanced measures in saving that person. Day in and day out the rescue personell save peoples lives and nobody remebers them except the pt. and thier immidiate family. Do not get me wrong I love being a firefighter (thats where I started at), but where I see it for all three sides of the spectrum I believe that rescue personell sould get more credit for their services. Fire protects property first and if a life is on the line it comes first and property comes second. When Rescue gets called out , unless its a medication seeker, somebodies life is on the line everytime. Everybody who vol.'s does it becuase they love it no matter what it is. In these two cases of the people who serve their community in both these services should get more credit.
    [img]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cfd_1623/l_718884585b96167d3016bd636fbe24c0.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fire and Rescue

    General statement to all....

    Volunteer services like fire and rescue are the most underappreciated in the world. I paid my dues for nearly 20 years of sleepless nights and aching muscles and bones from overexertion in extinguishing structure and woodland fires. The early morning ambulance trips weren't much fun either, but I enjoyed being able to serve my community.
    The bottom line is we need more people to get involved, especially those in the 20-30 year old range. Firefighting is stressful and strenuous, and not for the faint of heart and old farts like me. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    If your hometown department isn't measuring up, then its time to get yourself involved and see what you can do to help out.

    Your public service announcement for January, 2007... [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  7. #7
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Fire and Rescue

    I don't think i discredit either. I pointed out simply the difference on some being paid and the budgets they receive.
    You have more rescue calls than you do fire calls per year.
    That is a given. Yet which department receives more funding and who gets paid?
    Sorry but that is a simple question and answer.
    I was also at one time a volunteer on the fire dept..
    I know how it works.
    Yeah i been out at 15 or 5 below. I did it because i signed on to do it. Not for what it paid. But for the idea of giving to those who needed it. Volunteerism it means alot.
    Paid or unpaid.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •